Thinking of raising funds for Epilepsy Sucks UK?

ploink esuk piggy


Tell us about your event:
Email uk

You can find us on Just Giving too.


If you are thinking of running an event here’s some guidelines to help.

Event Safety:

Make sure that nobody is attending, helping or working in an unsafe environment.  The best way to do this is to undertake a risk assessment of the event and eliminate or minimise any risks. Please read the risk assessment guidance at the bottom of the page.

If there is money being handled at the event, please take reasonable measures for your safety. Count money in a safe area away from crowds and always have another person with you as a witness. If transporting money, always use a safe route and always be accompanied and/or carry a personal alarm.

If contractors, sub-contractors or external facilities are used, make sure they have the relevant experience and comply with insurance and health and safety standards.

Event Insurance:

If you organise an event that involves members of the public, attendees, participants or even spectators, you will need to ensure you have public liability insurance. With personal injury or accident claims rife in the UK, we strongly recommended your event is insured. Most venues already have this so you are holding your event at a venue always check with them. If you use 3rd party contractors for anything, such as equipment hire, catering, games or rides, you must ask to see a copy of their public liability insurance.

Collections & Licenses:

A street collection permit is required if you wish to collect money or sell anything for the benefit of a charity. You must apply for the permit through the relevant local council; you will find forms on their website. Procedures vary from council to council, with tougher requirements in place for popular areas/streets. Although time scales for issuing a permit will also vary, ensure that you give plenty of notice, at least a month or more if possible.

Events held in public places may need a licence so check with your local council before you start organising.


General Rules for Collections:

Once you have a permit, you will have to abide by a further set of rules when you start collecting. Again, these vary from council to council, but there are several regulations that apply in most areas. To begin with, all collectors must be at least 16 years old unless the collection is part of a procession. In these cases collectors can be as young as 14, but must be accompanied by an adult if they are younger than 16.

You must ensure that you do not obstruct the public, or cause them any other annoyance or danger. Collectors must stand at least 25 metres apart from each other, and should remain stationary unless part of a procession.

Any collecting buckets or tins must be sealed, and should clearly display the name of the charity or appeal. You may not shake collecting tins. You should also take with you the letter of authority from the council in case of inspection by the police or council.

To hold a collection on private property, a public house or restaurant for example, you must ask the owner or manager for permission.



Please ask for consent from anyone that you take photos of and ensure they are aware that it may be used on the ESUK website, promotional materials etc.. For children under 18, consent must be obtained from parents or guardian prior to the picture being taken.


Raffle & Lotteries:

You will not need a licence to run a raffle if it is part of another event such as a disco, ball or quiz, and the tickets are being sold during the event to attendees. However, the following rules apply:

  • No more than £500 may be used to buy prizes although there is no limit on donated prizes
  • No more than £100 may be spent on costs
  • No cash prizes may be given

However, if you are planning on selling tickets prior to an event, or the raffle is the event i.e it’s being draw on another date, you will need a licence and pre-printed tickets stating the draw date, location, time list of prizes etc. Please contact us if you intend on running a raffle or lottery like this.



If your event is being held at a venue that isn’t licensed for alcohol, you will need to obtain one.


Food safety laws apply when food is available at an event in any way, whether it is for sale or free. Further information can be obtained from your local authority environmental health department.
Further information about organising an event can be found at:

Epilepsy Sucks UK Risk Assessment Guidelines

Before you run any charitable event that raises money for ESUK you need to use this checklist to make sure that your event is well planned.


Safety Matters Venue:
• Does it have good lighting, clear and illuminated emergency signs, toilet facilities and easy access points?
• Are there suitable facilities for your disabled guests? In the event of an emergency how will they be evacuated?
• What are the parking facilities? Will you need to have parking stewards? Is there any disabled parking?
• What is the maximum capacity of people allowed in the venue? By law this cannot be exceeded, so how will you ensure that you stay within the limit?
• How will you ensure that fire/emergency exits are kept clear and able to be opened?
• Does the venue have a fire alarm system for evacuation? If not how will you evacuate people in an emergency?
• Have you made plans to brief and manage any volunteers helping at the event? Are they aware of evacuation procedures? Do they know how to quickly report any issues?
• Does the venue have up to date public liability insurance?
• What time do you have to vacate the premises by?
• Where possible has all portable electrical equipment been PAT tested, or deemed safe to use by a qualified electrician/venue owner?
• Have all trailing wires been properly secured with hazard safety tape?
• Is the electrical equipment protected by an RCD unit – either portable to as part of the venue’s system?
• Are all equipment operators knowledgeable about their equipment? Will they have rehearsed before the event?
• Have any tables or display stands that you will be using been checked? How can you avoid overloading them or placing them where they could cause an obstruction?
• Where possible will you use trolleys/wheeled carriers to transport heavy items?
First Aid & Emergency Measures:
• What is the procedure for a first aid incident? If an emergency arises how will this be dealt with? Will all volunteers be briefed on these too before the event?
• Do you need to notify the police or fire brigade of your event?
• Will you need a qualified First Aider on site?
• Will you have a landline or mobile phone available for emergency use?
• Do you know where all the emergency exits and fire extinguishers are located? Are they clearly marked? Will all attendees be made aware of the exit procedure at the start of your event?
Food & Refreshments:
(See notes below for more information on food)
• It is the legal responsibility of anyone selling or processing food to do so safely and hygienically. Does the lead caterer have a Basic Food Hygiene certificate?
• Will you label any foods that may contain nuts or other allergens?
• Have you made plans to keep children and animals out of food preparation areas?
• Have you provided appropriate protective clothing (aprons, plastic gloves, etc) to all involved in preparing and serving food?
Children and Young People:
• Have you made adequate plans to supervise all children at the event?
• It’s illegal to let children under 16 collect money from the public without an adult with them. Have you made plans for this?
• Have you made a contingency plan for the unexpected, i.e. how to deal with lost children?
• Do you have a lockable box in which to keep money from the event?
• When carrying or counting money, don’t be alone. Have you arranged for two people to be in charge of the money?
• Remember, don’t put your personal safety in jeopardy by tackling a thief. Do those handling money have mobile phones with battery and signal?
• How will you dispose of any rubbish or waste material safely?
• How will you avoid the use of hazardous cleaning products? Will you have protective clothing at hand for helpers?
Remember that the Heath and Safety at Work Act 1974 applies to volunteers as well as paid workers. You will need to consider whether and how your event could be harmful – to organisers, guests, volunteers, helpers and the public, and think how you can minimise the risk.
Please note that Epilepsy Sucks UK cannot accept any responsibility for accident, injury, loss or damage as a result of your event. We therefore strongly recommend that you check you have adequate insurance (e.g. public liability insurance) and that you take all reasonable steps to ensure the safety of all concerned. It is the responsibility of those joining in activities to ensure they are fit enough to take part.

Your event and the law

Will I need a licence? If you are hoping to include any of the following at your event, you may need a licence: (always state that the event is in aid of Epilepsy Sucks UK and quote the Registered Charity number No. 1147790)
• Music and dancing
• Sale of alcohol
• Extended hours of licensed premises
• Provision of food and drink
• Copyright and royalties for drama or film show
• Collecting money or selling goods in a public place
Bear in mind:
• It is illegal to sell cigarettes, solvents or knives to children, and please do not sell alcohol to minors during a Epilepsy Sucks UK fundraising event.
• If you have children helping at your event you need to get parental permission and we advise that you make a risk assessment. Start by reading the notes that follow this section.
• If your event will be held on private property, you will need to get permission from the Owner.
• If you intend to release photographs from the event, you will need to get signed parental permission for any children or young people in the shots.
• Please do not collect money door-to-door – this is illegal without a licence.
Food and Drink
If you wish to have food and drink at your event, there are additional requirements that you need to meet. The Food Standards Agency also provides information and guidance on safe food preparation and transport.
• Any food that is being supplied must comply with the Food Safety Act 1990, the Food Safety (General Food Hygiene) Regulations 1995 and other regulations applying to specific types of food.
• In general, the Food Hygiene and Labelling Regulations do not apply to food that isn’t prepared as part of a business. So, most food sold for charity won’t need to be labelled, including food sold at one-off events. However, with food that is regularly packaged and sold for charity (e.g. jars of jam or boxed cakes), regulations may apply even when there is no profit.
• Even if there is no legal requirement to label the food, it can be done voluntarily. Ideally, give the product name, a list of ingredients and details about ingredients that could cause an allergic reaction, such as nuts. Ensure the information is accurate.
• The requirements for having an inspection depend on the size and frequency of the event. Regulations can vary from authority to authority so it is best to check with your local authority for specific events. To find out more about what regulations apply to your situation, contact the trading standards or environmental health department at your local authority.

Fundraising with Children


Q. Can we engage with children when fundraising?
A. Yes, but you need to ensure that they have an appropriate role and you take the relevant precautions.
Q. Do we need permission from parents/guardians?
A. Yes. Participation in any fundraising activity must be via an authorising adult. For children up to the age of 16, it must be for the parents to decide.
Q. What age limits are there for collections?
A. The minimum age of collectors varies depending on the type of collection and geographical area:
• Static collection box collectors must be 16 years of age or over
• For licensed lotteries, children under 16 cannot sell tickets.
• Children under 16 cannot count collected money.
England & Wales:
• For public collections (on the street or house-to-house), age restrictions can vary with each local authority – check whether it is 16 or 18 in your area.
• For some collections (e.g. where money is collected from members of a club or society), collectors of 14 years of age or older may be eligible.
Within the London Metropolitan Police District:  • Public collectors must be 16 or over, unless the collection is in connection with a procession. If the collection is in connection with a procession, collectors may be 14 or older, as long as they are accompanied by a responsible adult (for 14 – 16 year olds).
For further information  please click here  Code of Fundraising Practices   

Risk Assessments

If you are organising a large event a more detailed risk assessment process will have to be followed.  We are available to give you support and guidance on these forms so please contact us so we can help ensure they are correctly used.
The advice given here is clearly intended to provide general guidance only and to that extent the information conveyed is accurate at the time of writing.


As you can see there is a lot of thought that has to go into running a successful event but its very worthwhile not just for funds for us but for a sense of personal achievement so don’t be put off and go for it!!